PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN in the SYNOD of the NORTHEAST
SISTERS STAND AND WALK TOGETHER (SSWT)
SISTERS STAND and WALK TOGETHER (SSWT) is beginning enrollment for a new class. It can be up to a three-year program of Presbyterian Women in the Synod of the Northeast. It was originally designed to acclimate and motivate new immigrant women from congregations within the Synod to Presbyterian Women. They met three times a year. We hope to attract ALL women who are new to Presbyterian Women who want to start or enhance an existing PW group by learning skills to prepare for leadership roles. There is no financial cost to the participant.
The goals of the program are to build community and confidence, help women feel comfortable with public speaking and commit to the purpose of Presbyterian Women. SISTERS STAND and WALK TOGETHER seeks to prepare the women through leadership development training including forums and workshops where cultural and gender differences are explored and leadership shared. Several graduates have taken leadership roles in Presbyterian Women in the Synod of the Northeast and Churchwide.
The group will meet at Valley Stream Presbyterian Church (Long Island, walking distance from the Long Island Railroad train stop). Participants are encouraged to attend PW events in Albany, at Stony Point and Louisville. The training sessions could include (as needed):
• Exposure to the Presbyterian Women’s manual (purpose, principles, structure, and are circles are they still relevant), Horizons magazine and the PW Quarterly Leadership Newsletter.
• Conversations about cultural and gender barrier issues and women’s role in the church. Finding your WHY in Presbyterian Women.
• How to develop and lead a Bible study (including how to build community by conducting an ‘ice breaker’).
• How to plan and lead a worship service, creating one for the training sessions.
• How to plan an agenda and lead a meeting (by consensus), run a workshop.
• Communication skills including listening/conflict resolution and technology for flyers, newsletters, conference calls. Best practices for (personal invitations) attracting attendance at Gatherings, fundraising events and securing participation on a Design Team.
• Bringing it all together, taking it to the world.
• Homework may be given to participate and/or lead in a worship service, small group session or Sunday School class in our home church.
The next class begins Sat., April 6, 2019, from 9:30- 3:00 pm. More classes will be scheduled at everyone’s mutual need and availability.
Chick for Flyer
For further information, contact:
-Lisa Gray, Moderator of PWSNE 973-476-472 Lisa_A_Gray@Hotmail.com
-Denise Kennedy, SSWT Planning Team Member 973-943-1536 DenisedKennedy@gmail.com
-Jo-Ann Estella, SSWT Team Member 718-723-5901/718-809-8391 Jestella@aol.com
First class beginning Sat. April 6, 2019, 9:30 am- 3:00 pm at Valley Stream Presbyterian Church (130 South Central Ave, Valley Stream, NY 11580 phone: 516-561-0616)
Pastor at Valley Stream Rev. Kymberly (KC) Jones
Please return this form by email at Lisa_A_Gray@hotmail.com or postal mail to:
Lisa Gray, 352 Hamilton Dr. Stewartsville, NJ 08886
You must be logged in to post a comment.