Presbyterian Women Synod of Northeast – Annual Report 2019
Forgiven and freed by God in Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves:
To nurture our faith through prayer and bible study
- PWSNE has offered the Love Carved in Stone, 2019-20 PW bible study, workshop at Stony Point center this past spring led by the author of the “helps” and created (thanks to Elder Donna Rahmann) a workshop to present leadership helps at our Fall Gathering.
- Prayer concerns, especially peacemaking from denominational e-blasts have been forwarded to our mailing list for their attention (thanks mainly to Lori Evans).
- Rev JyungIn Lee PWC Moderator celebrated communion at our Fall Gathering worship service. The Gathering was opened with prayers for domestic violence.
To support the mission of the church worldwide
- The Synod received a PW Thank Offering grant of $40,000 for the Ghanaian Partnership (Maternity Ward) with First Presbyterian Church Fairfield Ct.
- Many churches participated in funding Thank and Birthday Offering Grants.
- PWSNE sponsored PWSNE Moderator Lisa Gray and Synod staff Rev Margaret Mitsiyahu to the PW USA Mission Experience to the Fingerlakes. Standing on the Shoulders of Empowered Women was the theme. JoAnn Burrell and JyungIn Lee from our Synod also participated as representatives from the Churchwide coordinating team. BIG thanks to those who put this together: Virginia Champlin, Linda Werts, Lois Carter and Rita Hooper; AND the 18 churches that fed us and offered us hospitality!
- The offering from the Fall Gathering Women Move Mountains, which over 30 women from four Presbyteries attended, funded half to support a PCUSA mission (sanitation facilities for women) and half to Mooncatcher Project in Albany.
- Rev Rosemary Mitchell PCUSA director of mission engagement and support was keynote speaker at fall gathering.
- $500 was donated from Korean PW to be used for Native Americans in need; the money is in account pending a worthy recipient.
To work for Justice and Peace
- $1,000 from the disbanded Elizabeth Presbytery was sent to the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship’s 75 Anniversary Campaign.
- Rev Molly Dykstra led a workshop at the fall gathering featuring Eoc-Justice which is a PWC Initiative for this triennial.
- Promoted supporting Knitting4peace.
- Many churches made pillowcases for Puerto Rico which was a national hands-on project to support hurricane Maria victims, especially the children.
To build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the PCUSA and witnesses to the promise of God’s kingdom.
- As part of “Sisters in Stand and Walk Together” a mentoring program, a diverse group of women met twice at Valley Stream (Long Island, NY) Presbyterian Church (Thanks Session for building use and hospitality!) twice in 2019. We learned we have more in more in common than we are different. Thanks to: Alpha Brown Jo Ann Estella, Rev Denise Kennedy, Rev KC Jones, her Session attendees, and Marlene McGee.
- An additional part of efforts to reach young women (and men) scholarships have been granted to YAVs. None were requested but the program will continue.
- Grants are also awarded for Gathering attendees. This in an effort to reach out to more women, especially with restricted means.
- Work continued on ways to engage young women: reached out to Princeton Seminarian, Lydia Tembo at the seminary and attended her graduation.
- Shared “Jersey Girl” information including beginning work to reorganize PW from seven Presbyteries to the four Presbyteries to be formed in the upcoming future in NJ.
- Due to scheduling conflicts I was only able to attend two Presbytery Gatherings: Monmouth and Albany. I will be available until the Triennial Gathering for invitiations.
- Applied for and received a $500 leadership grant from churchwide that will be used for communications and building/equipping leaders especially by using Zoom conference calling. Had a communications workshop led be Rev Lee at the Fall Gathering.
- Attending diversity training at Stony Point. Participated in Churchwide Moderator’s conference calls every two months.
- Represented PWSNE on Synod M&M Commission and share updates of our activities.
Lisa Gray, Moderator PWSNE (2017-2020)